1. Download and install the ReaR software using the yum command (yum install rear):
After the REAR installation has completed, create a backup job in the "Backup Jobs" section of Novastor.
2. You must install the EFI Boot Manager using the yum command (yum install efibootmgr).
3. Download the NovaStor DataCenter add-on component package to the client machine.
4. Extract and copy the DataCenter components to /usr/share/rear. Merge with existing folders.
5. Edit /etc/rear/local.conf file and add the settings below then save.
Note:A list of options that can be used in the local.conf file can be found at the following link:
6. Here is an example of the contents of the login.cifs file:
7. Create job in DataCenter GUI for the client that was just installed. (follow general job setup guide).
8. Once job has completed, you can copy the ISO to a USB drive for recovery purposes. It is recommended the boot ISO image be stored network share. Locally store images will most likely be inaccessible if the system has a catastrophic failure.
Note: Be sure to create a "File" type of job:
9a) right-click in the Backup Jobs window and select "New" then "File":
9b) Select the "Note/Group" name or IP address of the backup client that you are creating a REAR type of backup for:
9c) Selecting the "full_locations_LINUX" job object will create a complete backup job that will be used with the REAR ISO image that can be created when the backup job runs:
9d) To configure the ISO image to be created during the backup operation, click the "Options" tab, and then click the "Advanced Options" tab.
Check the box next to "Bare Metal Recovery with ReaR" and then, from the drop-down, select "Create rescue Image".
Click "OK" to save changes and exit the backup job configuration screen:
1. Write the ISO image to a usb or CD and mount it as the boot drive. The system will boot into the ReaR ISO restore environment.
2. Select "Automatic Recovery" from the options and press enter.
3. Once the system has successfully booted, the following message will appear:
4. Launch the NovaStor DataCenter interface and go to the "Restore" section.
Select ReaR backup job that you want to restore from and click "Next":
5. Be sure that the correct disk pool in the "Source Options" section. You may need to use the alternate media pool in order to choose the pool that contains your backup files.
In the "Destination Node Selection" section, use the "Restore to original node:" option. In this example the boot ISO is hard coded with the IP (specified in the local.conf).
In the "Restore Destination Options", select "Use following alternative destination:" and browse to, or type, "/mnt/local" in the alternative destination field.
In the "Include Files" type an asterisk (*):
6. Use "Monitoring" to monitor the progress of the restore:
7. When the restore is complete, go back to the system being recovered and follow the prompts:
8. Type "3" to select "Reboot" and the system will boot into it's recovered state: