This article is designed to be a high-level overview of the differences between the Major versions of NovaBACKUP. The intended audience are those users that are unsure what they are missing out on from their current version.
You can see the full changelog at Current NovaBACKUP Version / Changelog
If you are upgrading from an older version to a newer one, please review the Installation Notes
- If you are experiencing trouble please see the 19.x Update Process
- Added create an image directly into VHDX format, which means your image backups can now be directly used as a Hyper-V machine within minutes. With this feature, recovering from a disaster can be faster and easier. The Microsoft VHDX format supports > 2TB drives & UEFI.
- Added support for Windows Server 2019 (and Hyper-V 2019)
- Certified for Windows 10 and supports Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)
- Added support for Microsoft SQL Server 2017
- Improved performance of import and restore operations for file-based backups
- Increased speeds when scanning, indexes are now stored with backup media
- Import now takes minutes (previous versions could take hours)
- Added Korean language support
- New NovaStor LogCollector.exe utility created for support requests
- Updated Image Backup System
- Added direct to Microsoft VHDX and VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) feature to scheduled and on-demand image backup.
- Updated Image Backup Boot Disk creation to use the latest Windows 10 ADK
- Completely new boot media that fixes a large number of issues that have been reported.
- Updated CMon with a New HTML User Interface
- The software will no longer automatically hold any failed job for any reason, all completed jobs will be rescheduled according to their schedule settings
- Removed FTP code and support in NovaBACKUP backup client version 19.1 and newer.
- Added Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2016 (and Hyper-V 2016)
- Added Support for Microsoft SQL 2016
- Added Support for Microsoft Exchange 2016
- Added native 64-bit backup client
- Added email notification options to the Virtual Dashboard
- Introduction of CMon
- Replaced Kroll Ontrack Single Mailbox Restore for Exchange with NovaStor Granular Restore
- Improved backup speed. Actual performance increase varies depending on the hardware and configuration, but is expected to average roughly 10% when backing up to external devices such as USB or NAS drives.
- Single pass image recovery scans the last full image backup, then goes through each subsequent incremental image backup to acquire any later file revisions for a seamless System Image recovery process.
- Removed Support for Windows Vista.
- You will not be able to install NovaBACKUP on Windows Vista with NovaBACKUP 18.7 and newer
- Removed Express Wizard from NovaBACKUP version 18.0 and newer.
- Windows 10 support (17.1.804)
- Support of VMware 6.0
- NovaBACKUP Alerts service
- Daily, Weekly and Monthly Summary Reports
- Updated Log Viewer
- Removed built-in Antivirus support
- Removed CD / DVD / Blu-Ray support (as backup target)
- Removed Support for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP.
- You will not be able to install NovaBACKUP on Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP OS with NovaBACKUP v17.6, and newer.
- New NovaBACKUP Virtual Dashboard for managing advanced virtual machine backups / replication
- Ability to set a Holiday Schedule (disable backups on a particular date)
- NovaBACKUP Support Tab – Support portal included directly within the application for fast troubleshooting and notifications
- Removed Mirror and Bi-Directional copy options
- Added support for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2
The installer can recognize the previous 2 Major versions when attempting to update the software. If you currently have a version more than 2 Major versions you will need to uninstall that version to install the latest.
If you have a version listed on this page you will likely be able to keep your existing backup settings, restore index, and logs if you clear the checkbox during uninstallation.
If you have jobs created by the Express Wizard they will need to be recreated in versions 18.0 and newer.
If you have jobs targeting a FTP device, the code has been removed in versions newer than 19.1
If you are performing a manual Uninstallation, and are planning on installing an updated version, be sure to clear the checkbox during the Uninstall process: