NovaBACKUP PC/Server/BE v19.x and newer
If you are unable to install any of the NovaBACKUP software and receive a message that the software installation ended prematurely there are a few potential causes and fixes.
If you experience a failed installation of NovaBACKUP v19.1.x or newer, where the installation or upgrade ends prematurely, you can attempt the fix that we have for this by reading the Knowledge Base article
Fix for NovaBACKUP v19.x fails to install due to existing DR Drivers.
Please try the following before continuing:
- Reboot your machine before trying again
- Temporarily disable all Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Anti-ransomware, Anti-malware and Firewall software
- You should open Task Manager and make sure the following processes are not running (End Task if they are) before running the setup file:
- Please make sure to open the downloaded setup file (usually in your Downloads folder) by utilizing Right-Click->Run as Administrator
The following ADVANCED sections are included in this article:
- TLS 1.2 Only setting
- Other Backup Software or Antivirus Software
- Old NovaBACKUP Installations
- Corrupted Internet Explorer Settings
- Clear Temporary Directory on Windows
- Try a Command Line installation (Advanced)
- this generates verbose logs during install that can be utilized to identify exactly where the installation is failing
NOTE: Activation failures can occur when attempting to activate the software while connected to VPN or Proxy networks.
TLS 1.2 "only" setting
Online license activation will fail if OS has TLS 1.2 only in place.
This is a very specific troubleshooting step to resolve a very specific issue, if these values are already set to 1, continue to the next step.
At the time of activating with a legit license, the Offline Activation prompt will display and act like it can't reach the license server, and Schannel errors to do with TLS will appear in Event Viewer > System.
The least-intrusive workaround is to adjust the following Registry values using RegEdit:
You can copy the following code segment into a file and name it
SystemDefaultTlsVersions.reg (or anything
*.reg) and then "Merge" it with the registry (double-click), or you can locate the keys and modify their values from "0" to "1" manually.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
This registry setting is NOT enabled by default in any Microsoft Windows OS with the latest Windows Cumulative Updates, and .NET Framework updates installed. Note: It is required to reboot your computer if these registry entries are added or changed.
- A value of 1 causes your app to allow the operating system to choose the protocol.
- A value of 0 causes your app to use protocols picked by the .NET Framework.
- default - entry does not exist
NovaBACKUP needs to utilize a previous version of TLS to activate via the .NET framework, requiring this change. You CANNOT simply change this value back afterwards, it will prevent NovaBACKUP from maintaining the activation with the License Server and the software will enter evaluation mode after 90 days until a connection can be re-established.
Other Backup Software or Antivirus Software
Verify that no other Backup Software is running and that all Antivirus Software is removed or disabled during installation. Once installed, How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware and Firewall Programs to install NovaBACKUP.
Old NovaBACKUP Installations
Older copies of NovaBACKUP could still be installed on your system. Try removing the NovaBACKUP software, rebooting your computer, and then reinstalling.
NOTE: Make sure to clear the checkbox that asks: "Remove all logs and media indexes" in to keep your previous settings and history.
If you are updating from NovaBACKUP 19.0 to 19.1 and are experiencing difficulty:
Follow these instructions to download a .reg file to remove previous drivers from the Windows Registry:
- First, make sure that you are logged in to Windows as a user with Administrator rights. If you are NOT logged in as a user with Administrator rights currently then these instructions will not work because there will not be enough rights to perform the actions necessary.
- Using your web browser download the simple registry (.reg file) fix for this installation issue by clicking this link to download the fix, and be sure to take note of where the file is saved to:
- NOTE: If your anti-virus or anti-malware real-time protection software blocks .reg files from being saved then you may need to temporarily disable that software while you download and run this registry fix. You can re-enable the software after the fix is performed, and the software has installed.
- Merge the .reg file into your registry (double-click the .reg file)
- There will be two prompts minimum, choose Yes or OK for all prompts to continue.
- Reboot the machine
- Run the NovaBACKUP Setup.exe file again
Corrupted Internet Explorer Settings
Older or corrupted configurations of Internet Explorer can cause Windows Installers to fail in specific situations. Try resetting the Internet Explorer Default Settings.
Clear Temporary Directory on Windows
Open Windows File Explorer
- In the address bar navigate to your temporary files directories
- %TMP% [enter] and %TEMP% [enter] (both exist, but may be in different locations)
- Once in each of these directories, remove any files found, these are all temporary files that were not cleaned up by other software.
Permissions issues with the Windows Temporary directory can also cause issues with temporary installation files.The instructions below allow you to change the default temporary files directory:
- Right click on "This PC" and choose Properties.
- Click on Advanced System Settings on the left navigation bar.
- On the Advanced tab, and click on the button [Environment Variables]
- Make a note of the current TEMP and TMP directories for use after the installation
- Select the TEMP variable, and click [Edit]
- Change the value to C:\TEMP and click [OK]
- Select the TMP variable, and click [Edit]
- Change the value to C:\TMP and click [OK]
- Open This PC, go to your C:\ directory, and create new folders called TEMP and TMP
- Reboot your computer.
- Attempt to install NovaBACKUP again
Try a Command Line installation (Advanced)
Start an Administrative Command Prompt.
Change to your own user's Downloads folder by entering:
After changing to the correct folder where the NovaBACKUP
Setup-NB-*.exe is located, issue this command to start a silent installation:
Setup-NB-PC.exe /q /ComponentArgs "Backup Client":"/q /log c:\setuplog.txt"
The above command performs the following: calls the executable, tells it to run quietly (no visible prompts), tells the embedded msi installer to run quietly, tells the embedded msi installer to generate a log file at
If the downloaded filename is different than
Setup-NB-PC.exe you will need to use the filename of the downloaded setup file that is on your machine.
When that task runs you can see that it is running by looking at your Windows Task Manager and in the Processes or Details area look for
Setup-NB-*.exe in the list of processes running and when it is done it will no longer list that processes as being active when it is done running.
Now look for the NovaBACKUP desktop shortcut to see if it was created after that install completed. If it is in fact listed then the software is installed.
If there is no desktop icon after 10 minutes, the installation did not succeed. Please attach the
C:\setuplog.txt file to a Support Ticket