User Data Import and Verify using APFMigration
NovaBACKUP xSP / Remote Workforce
Last Updated: May 03, 2013 02:04PM PDT
The APFMigration function of the NovaBACKUP Storage Server allows you to scan the users data storage, and recreate the database entries for the stored data.
- CAUTION 1: This guide is valid for version 12.0 and up ONLY.
- CAUTION 2: If your user spans multiple storage locations (v12 and up) then you will need to consolidate the userdata into a single (1) userdata folder (e.g - All to the same location) for this function to work.
- CAUTION 3: Please make sure that you have a valid SQL Database backup before using this tool
Part 1 - Preparing the Storage Server and Data for import
- In the configuration manager, select the users account, and click "Remove"
- Uncheck the top 2 boxes in the window ("Delete the accounts data directory" and "Delete the accounts log files")
- In the section "Account Disposition" choose the option, "Permanently Delete Account" and Click "OK"
- Browse to the user's data folder and locate the file, "Cache.apf"
- Rename "Cache.apf" to "old_cache.apf"
Once the removal has completed and you've renamed the Cache file, you will need to re-add the account:
- Click "Add" under the Accounts tab
- Re-add the user account with the same username and password. Make sure you choose the appropriate storage location you wish to use.
- On the client's machine, perform a single-file backup to the Storage Server on each drive:
- If the client has multiple drives being backed up (e.g. - backing up files from both a C: and D: drive) you will need to back up a single file from both C: and D:
- In the userdata folder you will see a new folder has been created identifying this machine as well as a new "Cache.apf" file
- Move or Copy all the data from the prior user folder (e.g. - Copy all contents of computer "1001" into the new computer "2001")
Part 2 - Import content to Storage Server (APFMigrate)
- Open a Command Prompt running it As Administrator
- Navigate to the NovaBACKUP Storage Server directory (default is "C:\Program Files\NovaBACKUP Storage Server\")
- Run the APFMigrate utility:
- "Backupserver.exe apfmigration -d -a -u -c"
- Command line switches:
- -d = Data Directory
- -a = APF file path
- -u = Username on the Storage Server
- -c = Connection to SQL Server (You can copy and paste this from your BackupServer.ini file). As of version 14.5 the Connection string is no longer required.
As an example:
Backupserver.exe apfmigration -d "C:\userdata\John" -a "c:\userdata\John\cache.apf" -u John
This process can take some time but once finished you should be able to run backups against the user's previous data.
NOTE: Prior to version 14.5 of the software, the command to run the APF Migration was actually prefaced by a dash (Backupserver.exe -apfmigration). This has been changed to just "Backupserver.exe apfmigration".