NovaBACKUP freezes at start up with tape drive connected
Last Updated: Sep 17, 2015 11:01AM PDT
If NovaBACKUP software freezes at start up with a tape drive connected to the computer, you can use the following guide to attempt to resolve that. First of all you have to know that if there is an issue with your tape drive that is connected, if the tape drive has an error, the main NovaBACKUP Service (not just the application) will NOT start. This service is named "NovaStor NovaBACKUP Backup/Copy Engine". NovaBACKUP only works with single tape drive and not an auto-loader tape drive. Did you test the tape drive using the tape tool application from the tape drive manufacturer?
Completely disable all other backup software, in the case of Backup Exec you have to fully un-install that because that backup software, at system start up places hooks in to the tape drive that blocks other backup software from seeing the tape drive and can cause NovaBACKUP not to start.
To see if the tape drive itself is what is causing NovaBACKUP not to start up you can simply first disable or un-install the Tape Drive device from Windows Device Manager. Then go to Windows Services (command = services.msc) and right-click on NovaStor NovaBACKUP Backup/Copy Engine service, stop that service and then start the service. Now try loading NovaBACKUP software via the desktop shortcut. If it starts as normal then you know it is something to do with the tape drive.
You should also attempt to update all of these components to see if NovaBACKUP can work with the tape drive after removing other backup software (or disabling all of those backup software's services and stopping those services):
1. Update the SCSI, or otherwise, adapter driver to the latest driver version. You are updating the device driver for the storage adapter which the tape drive physically connects to.
2. Update the tape drive device driver. Do not use the Microsoft driver, get the driver for your specific tape drive by going to Quantum/IBM/HP's website to download it there.
3. Install the tape drive "tool" application; this is the application that allows updating the tape drive's firmware (BIOS). Quantum/IBM/HP have this type of tool software, go to their website and look up your tape drive and drivers/apps to get it.
4. Update the firmware of the tape drive by identifying what firmware you already have installed via the tape drive "tool" application. Download the latest firmware from the manufacturer's website directly after properly identifying the exact model and revision of the tape drive. You will use the tape drive "tool" application to do that firmware update from that app.
5. Update the firmware of the SCSI controller, the one connecting to the tape drive, if possible.
6. Reboot the computer.
Re-try NovaBACKUP, try loading it without a tape in the drive.