Please follow this guide to resolve "Unable to allocate backup engine" and if this does not work check the forum, or contact NovaStor Support.
Please verify the following:
- There are no CD/DVD media in a drive?
- Check Windows Device Manager, does it have any storage related devices showing with exclamation meaning they are trouble devices and not operating normally?
- If any storage devices have an issue such as CD/DVD drive then disable those devices and reboot your computer, then verify if the devices are disabled by checking Device Manager again. Also try uninstalling those devices.
- Then perform the step detailed in this guide in the section "Start or Restart the Backup / Copy Engine Service".
- There are no U3 USB Flash Drives plugged in?
- The NovaBACKUP Service is not running (See "Start or Restart the Backup / Copy Engine Service").
- Any Antivirus Programs are set to skip NovaBACKUP directories (See "Exclude NovaStor Directories from Active Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Scanning").
- If you are running the NovaBACKUP software on a VMWare ESXi server version 4.1, you may need to disable the CD/DVD drive in device manager for that virtual machine.
Exclude NovaStor Directories from Active Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Scanning:
On Windows 7 +, Server 2008 +
- Go to: C:\ProgramData\NovaStor\ and
- C:\Program Files (x86)\NovaStor\
Start or Restart the Backup / Copy Engine Service:
- Close Novabackup
- Go to Start >> Run
- Type "services.msc"
- Scroll down until you see "Novastor NovaBACKUP Backup/Copy Engine"
- Right click on that entry
- Click Start or Restart
- Then try to open NovaBACKUP.
Also you can try this fix:
- Locate C:\ProgramData\NovaStor\NovaStor NovaBACKUP\Profiles.
- Rename this to Profiles_old
- Run the NovaBACKUP Installer and choose the [Repair] option.
If this resolves the issue, please zip the Profiles_old folder and submit a Support Ticket online with the ZIP file as the attachment.
Please make the Subject: Unable to Allocate Backup Engine